5.06.2011

step back.

could we go back to that night?
to that night you light up the stage.
and my heart.
or the night you made me believe.
when you held me close as i cried.
or the night we laughed over little things
i sadly can't recall now.
or the night i felt your heartbeat.
from under your skin.
could we go back?
just for a moment?
no, a minute.
no, an hour.
could we just stay like that?
could we go back to the night we listened to the rain?
or the night we ran through the snow?
or the night after that fight,
and i truly opened up to you?
could we just take a few steps back?
could we take a few breaths back?
could we go back to the night i yelled at you?
and said those horrible things?
i was lost in the dark,
i couldn't see,
what i was doing.
i'd tell myself to shut up if i could.
because now my nights are filled with this silence...
and it's screaming at my heart.
'this is what you get.'
could we just take a few steps back?
could we take a few breaths back?